Deprivation - innovation - motivation - inspiration - perspiration

Our dare-setter is taking a break. Erin is a remarkable lady who has been taking care of the many who like mandalas but draw the line at designing one. I don't belong to that group, but I must admit that getting them on a plate ready to decorate is a nice way of doing them. Now Erin is so laden with job, studies etc that she is taking a break, which I heartily endorse. When something becomes a burden and a chore, it's time to step back. More on that at fapj.
I suggested she try a different route so as to revive her own enthusiasm, which seems to have been sacrificed to all the other tasks she faces.
Having given this advice, I'm taking it myself, though at the moment I'm getting on quite well with my usual method of approaching drawing - just doing it when I want to!
The idea: I've just drawn a string (not quite blind this time, but free of restrictions and ambition!) on an A2 sized piece of Bristol drawing paper (use robust paper for this exercise) and will spend a few days on and off adding patterns to it. Here's the string (bad lighting, sorry). Lots of possibilities. Probably too many lines. I'll post the stages as I complete them.

So how will I approach the A2 drawing? I think I'll start with bigger patches and patterns I can draw accurately. I'll leave the very small areas and maybe just colour them later to match whatever colours I am using elsewhere. Of course, drawings this size get on better with colours added, but it isn't essential. However, bold use of black and shading would be a necessity on a monochrome drawing.
There are other ways of improvising. 
You could use a pencil to pinpoint an area to decorate, like putting the tail on the donkey!
Or you could start in the centre and work outwards, or from the edges and work inwards.
Or go for grid patterns on various areas. Or develop a Celtic string from some of the lines. Plenty of choices, really, and so many patterns that one is spoilt for choice.

I did think of offering a challenge on these lines, but I don't think I can. So much administration is involved and of course, bigger drawings take much longer and many people don't even want to work big! 

Another reason is - admittedly - that I don't belong to the ardent followers of socalled "zentangle". I love the ideas, but hate the restrictions. I know a game needs rules, but I like to make my own for things that affect me to the extent that drawing does.   



A2 string

New A3 drawings



patchwork 25


patchwork 24 





Comments

  1. Faith. I love your drawings and yes they do have their own freedom. I feel when rules are imposed on what can and cannot be drawn, rubbed out etc it makes me want to break them immediately. For example using a rubber can highlight shading! Zen doodling has been great for me and I have been happy to work on a small scale. I am sure that it will progress into other things. I have hardly done any painting for a few years and this has been so enjoyable for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment