The wandering path of ribbons set free as a wandering melody

When I was little, my mother always styled my hair into bushy bunches tied with pretty ribbons. A few decades later I'm trying to control my willful hair all by myself - usually with some kind of permanent wave, but this year with an ultra short cut supported by about 5 different products, including oil and stuff to make it stay put. At the latest after 3 weeks and several bottles of hair cosmetics, my hair has assumed control and it's time for another visit to the hairdresser's.

The only reason for writing about my hair is the association with the ribbons I drew on an A3 sheet of drawing paper this week. It was too late in the planning phase to use the ribbons as a main theme, so I plan to draw another version doing just that. This one has lots of twists and turns and I enjoy doing large size doodles because I sort of grow with them. Last night I decided this one was finished. I'm using Tombow brush pens and they are really glorious and probably even more effective on watercolour paper. Some colours are gel pens, which I also love using. 

There isn't a mandala (zendala) dare to try each week at the moment, so I'm going to have to do some without the compulsion of sending them in. I miss mandalas when I'm not doing any, so this weekend I'll print or draw a few templates and devote a few hours to catching up on the mandala thing. 

This really is doodling - just thinking up something to put in a space, then scribbling away. Sometimes the patterns don't do what I intended, but that's the intriguing part of the game I'm freed of the compulsion to stick to some kind of rule. I don't have to fill every space, make a statement, or otherwise prove something. Art doodles are just that. I'm not even sure if the claim "art" is justified, but I suppose it is, since the main feature of art is arguably its uniqueness, and my drawings are unique even though they are recognizable from the style that creeps in as I proceed. 

Curiously, these improvisations are even freer than most jazz since they don't need a tune to set them off. Even more curiously, since my synaesthetic ego tends to couple shapes and colours with sounds, I could be said to be drawing jazz. A nice thought for a Saturday morning....


medley 09 - ribbons
(drawn mostly this way up)

Comments